I just laughed
and it felt good
not remembering the last time
I thought I forgot how
For most people
it’s spontaneous and natural
I want to find the humor in things
the humor in life
the humor in me
laughter is the best medicine
Dosage: 1 to 10 times per day
Precaution: If you miss a dose you must double up the next day
Side Effects: NONE
Benefits: Countless. Among the many medical and psychological effects, laughing decreases stress an anxiety, teaches you how to have fun and have a more positive outlook on your daily life
Make a promise to yourself to laugh at least once everyday
Force yourself even if you don’t feel like it (an adult laughs an average of 10 times per day). Most people don’t even think about laughing or take notice they are even doing it. For others, life is taken way too seriously where humor or laughter is just not in them. For those suffering with depression and can barely get themselves out of bed, humor and laughter may be the last thing on their mind.
Here are some suggestions you can do by yourself. If you can learn to laugh at yourself, you are making a step in the right direction.
For these first few suggestions you will need a mirror. Don’t worry if others think you are behaving crazy. They will probably be happy you are laughing and join in with you:
1. Make funny faces in the mirror
2. Google some jokes and practice telling them as if you were a comedian. Once you have had enough practice, try them on your friends and family
3. Pretend you have just accepted an Academy Award and make up an acceptance speech
4. Try to do an impression of your favorite actor or musician.
5. Create some crazy hairdo’s using rubber bands, pins, clips, scrunchies, spritz, mousse or whatever you can find. Guys, you can try this too or experiment styles by parting your hair in different places
6. Blast your favorite song and dance around the house. Turn on some classical music and dance as if you are performing in a ballet
7. Try on some outfits, backwards or inside out. If you want to involve others in your household, do this and see how long it takes for them to notice.
These are just a few examples you can try. Don’t worry about being judged or appearing silly or immature. There is no rule book stating silliness or having fun has to stop at a certain age.
If you can learn to laugh with yourself or even at yourself, you will find the people in your world will join in and laugh with you.
Remember: LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE